Beginners' Guide to Using LED Lights
LED lighting has become the most efficient source of artificial lighting on the market, using up to 60% less energy than fluorescent lights and around 90% less than incandescent lighting. It is an investment that should guarantee you lower electricity bills and a higher quality of lighting.
So, what exactly is LED lighting and what are the benefits of switching from traditional sources to LEDs? In this beginner’s guide to using LED lights, you should find all your answers.
What is an LED?
LED, or light-emitting diode, uses upgraded semiconductor technology to produce light. Unlike other light sources, LEDs do not possess the same filament that burns out in other bulbs, which makes them a lot more durable. Instead, it contains a diode chip encased within a secure casing and attached to the electrical circuit. Another characteristic of an LED bulb is that it doesn't heat up as much as other bulbs. Because of the modern and environmentally-friendly design, LED lights have become the most beloved light source for residential properties. You can buy them both online in stores like Marc LED, or stationery store that offers lighting features.
Benefits of LED Lighting
LED lighting has a long list of benefits especially when compared to other common lighting solutions, but the most important ones are:
- Longer lifespan - it works 2 to 3 times longer than fluorescent bulbs, and over 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Eco-friendliness - LEDs have a massive potential to reduce carbon emissions as they need less energy; they don’t contain mercury which makes them recyclable.
- Added durability - LED lights are able to withstand lower temperatures and higher levels of vibrations.
- Energy-efficiency - as mentioned before, energy saving of around 90% when compared with halogen or incandescent lights, 60% when compared with fluorescent lamps.
- Lower heat output - LED bulbs do not project infrared heat in their beam, so they don’t heat up as much as other lights.
- The ability to produce instant lighting - LEDs don’t need to warm up to provide you with full brightness, they light up immediately.
The Process of Replacing Traditional Lights with LEDs
Most LED products look like traditional lamps, so replacing bulbs is a relatively easy job. All you have to do is buy LED bulbs and install them in the place of your old, traditional bulbs. You can also think about replacing some of your lighting features with LED stripes.
If you don’t have a standard bulb or lights at the moment, don’t worry, you can still upgrade to LEDs with the help from speciality LED light fittings. You will end up with a custom design made for your needs.
How Much Can You Save by Switching to LEDs?
LED lights/bulbs are on the expensive side, especially when compared to traditional lighting units. However, because they are highly energy-efficient, in the long term, they should lower your bills and still bring more benefits than halogen or fluorescent lighting. Not to mention the extended lifespan, which means you won’t have to replace your lights so often.
What is the Future of LED?
LED is currently the most efficient alternative to traditional lighting, and it seems like this trend is here to stay. In the future, you can expect lower prices for LED products and improved designs.
LEDs are the lights of the 21st century, and you should most definitely join the trend. Hopefully, now you know everything you need to know about LED lighting and are convinced that it is the present and the future of artificial lighting.